Excerpt from Healthy Happy Sexy, by Katie Silcox
These days, everyone needs a little more support in the realm of ojas. Here is a recipe for building and conserving your vital energy (ojas):
- Go organic: Eat foods that are organic, in season, and, when possible, local.
- Cleanse and purify, then rebuild and renew: If you are full of toxic gunk from overindulging in meat, sugar, drugs, alcohol, or processed and fried foods, don’t just start eating a ton of ghee and dates! First, take a few days to eat super simple and clean foods—mainly whole grains, lentils, vegetables, and high-quality fats such as olive oil. Then, once you feel cleaned up, you can start to eat more nourishing foods such as ghee, avocado, dates, milk, and honey.
- Avoid overeating: This depletes your digestive fire.
- Avoid excess stimulation while eating: If you want to build your core vitality, don’t watch the evening news during dinner or eat lunch in front of your computer.
- Rest: Sleeping 8 hours at night is paramount for building ojas. Rest also means taking a break from constant “doing” to relax and deeply unwind.
- Oil your outer body.
- Oil your inner body: Yes, that’s right. Drinking and eating more oils boosts ojas. Incorporate more oils such as hemp, flax, avocado, coconut, and ghee into your diet.
- Say no to vampires: Avoid the people, places, and media that disturb your mind or suck your soul blood.
- Spend more time in nature.
- Rest your mind.
- Do nasya.
- Do restorative yoga: Most yoga studios have a “restorative” class.
- Love the one you’re with: Any form of genuine love and devotion boosts your core vitality and immune system.
Things that will sap your core vitality:
- Travel (especially in airplanes).
- Serious physical injury.
- Letting yourself get excessively hungry.
- Overanalysis, overthinking, and any form of mental disturbance like doubt, lack of faith, anger, greed, or jealousy.
- Unprocessed anger, worry, anxiety, or grief.