by Katie Silcox
Trinity Ava is one of my favorite herbal healer girlfriends. She is an accomplished herbalist, certified clinical aromatherapist, herbal marketing consultant, and teacher at the California School of Herbal Studies and Bastyr University. This is her recipe for a nourishing body scrub.
1 clean, glass, wide-mouth pint (0.47 liter) jar
Preferably organic ingredients:
- 2 cups (473 ml) sea salt, coarse or fine
- 2 cups (500 ml) olive oil or sweet almond oil
- Essential oils: 10 drops lavender and 10 drops grapefruit
- (optional) 1 tablespoon finely ground rose petals
- Fill your clean jar with equal parts coarse and fine sea salt. If you prefer less texture to your scrub, use only fine-grain sea salt.
- Fill jar slowly with desired fatty oil, covering the salt with the oil. Cover jar with lid and shake well to evenly disperse the oil into the salt, or mix the salt and oil together with a chopstick or wooden tool. If you wish to use rose petals for color and aroma, add them to the salt and oil mixture and mix well. The rose petals are a beautiful addition to a traditional salt scrub, but they can be a bit messy for cleaning your shower or bathtub.
- Add 10 drops of lavender essential oil and 10 drops of grapefruit essential oil and mix well.
Optional essential oil favorites: vetiver, lime, ginger, Roman chamomile, ylang ylang, and red mandarin.
Available from Beyond Words: certified organic lavender essential oil and certified organic grapefruit essential oil.